Thursday, June 25, 2009

I was surprised. Were you surprised? I was surprised.

Remember DDT, and how awesomely effective it was at wiping out malaria? Then remember how environmentalists ended its use, resulting in millions of deaths in Africa because the alternative methods weren't as effective? I do.

But here's something that I missed. Apparently, the WHO (World Health Organization) reversed their position on banning DDT and now endorses its use. And this happened almost two years ago! Wow! I'm glad somebody finally came to their senses.

Don't believe me? Check here (and its from NPR, so you know it's good!):
WHO Backs Use of DDT Against Malaria

This is really good, because it's actually what the people of Africa wanted anyway: 'Condemned to die' by malaria, Ugandans plead for DDT use

I wonder if anyone thought to ask the people actually dying from malaria if they wanted to continue the use of DDT. Something tells me that no one did.

No comments: