Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I come for the wuggas.

Yeah, new blog. And instead of doing the typical first-post-on-a-new-blog that just says, "Well, here's my new blog! Let's see what happens!", I'm going to actually make a post with substance.

And the substance: my views on the 08 Presidential election and the Republican nominee hopefuls.

At this point, I would accept a ticket with pretty much any combination of the following guys, and I'll tell you why:

Mike Huckabee - From the first time I saw this guy on The Daily Show, I really liked him. An actual conservative, good head on his shoulders, clear goals on moving this country forward - and this is key - in a good way, and just a really likable, personable guy. I watched him in the Fox News debate and even when he was slamming something, he was friendly. But here's the really big reason, and pay attention: Fair Tax. Look it up. Essentially, here's what it means: no more income tax, or any other kind of weird tax. It's all sales tax. You know what that means? NO MORE IRS. NO MORE FEARING APRIL 15TH. And all the prices you see listed is what you actually pay. So if the advertised price is $0.99, and you give the cashier a dollar, you get a penny back instead of the cashier saying, "You still need to give me a nickel." And you get a nice tax return check every month. BRILLIANT!

Rudy Giuliani - Obviously, the guy knows how important the current war on terror is and will make it a priority. That's pretty much the major issue in my mind. And he's good on other issues, too. Now, I know a lot of social conservatives get on him about his views on abortion, but I think I can get passed that. At least he does personally see it as immoral. And he does oppose federal funding of it, which is important. He is all for reduced abortions and more adoptions, both of which happened in NYC while he was Mayor. And I can look past his controversial stance when what he does brings about results like that. Because that's really the important thing, right? And although there are a couple guys I like more, I think that Rudy has a better chance of winning against a Clinton or Obama.

Mitt Romney - The guy just looks and sounds Presidential. Even his voice seems like it was chiseled out of stone. And his politics are sound. He really likes vetoing. He's all about a balanced budget. I see him as being quite electable, though maybe not as much as Giuliani. So far, just an all around good candidate.

Fred Thompson - Just watch him respond to Michael Moore:

Newt Gingrich - I must admit to not knowing too much about him specifically, but I hear a lot of good things and every time I hear him, he makes a lot of sense. And everybody likes Newt. Very electable.

So at the moment, I'm going to stick with my initial call of Gingrich/Huckabee 08.

Happy Birthday, Jennie! I got you my new blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you read anything about these candidates, or are these just your immediate impressions?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1562941-1,00.html

Tommy said...

Haven't read anything, just heard them talk and heard others' impressions.